----

Welcome to the South Texas Beer Blog. Please enjoy responsibly!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Great Divide Hercules Double IPA



Now this is my beer style!

Call me crazy, but I like a good IPA. I like it when it's so hoppy it burns bitterness into your palate and ruins any other taste for the rest of the day. I like it so hoppy that nobody else likes it except me!

Great Divide Brewing Company, out of Denver, Colorado, has hit the hoppy nail on the head with Hercules Double IPA - a beer "not for the faint of heart. It is, however, fit for the gods."

This 85 IBU ale pours a slightly hazy amber color with a sticky whitish head. I was trying to figure out what the haze was when I noticed in the light I could see a bunch of little floaties in my glass. I tried to get a picture of these whatevers but couldn't. It wasn't a big deal but I have no explanation for what they were.

The aroma was a nice hoppy blast with a slight malty musk. Definitely dominated by hops. The mouthfeel was pretty thick with a good amount of carbonation, not one to chug in other words. The taste meets my flavor for this style of beer - so hoppy that it's sweet. They, of course, boost up the malt backbone (in this case, a candy-like toffee flavor) to balance with the hop forward bitterness. The bitterness was pretty intense and sticky, coating your mouth with a dry resiny feeling. My favorite feeling!

One other note, at 10% ABV this beer is pretty intense. I had a bottle labeled "bottled 1-14-10" so it was over 7 months old. This contributed to the candy-like taste I experienced and not terribly cloying. I would also suggest sharing with a friend, I got through this 22 oz. bottle alone. If you don't have a friend, show someone that you have this bottle of beer and you want to share. You'll make friends quick!

The Bottom Line: If you enjoy huge IPAs like I do, try GD Hercules Double IPA. I enjoyed every sip, and this is a sipping beer for sure! Share with a friend if you can!

Stats:
ABV 10%
IBU 85

1 comment:

  1. Paul,

    I've had many Double IPA's, especially recently. I've had Double IPA's that range from $10 for a 650ml/750ml bottles to $15 for just a small 8oz sample bottle...and yet...Great Divide's Hercules still stands as one of my top three..easily!

    I feel in love with this beer for the very start. It's incredible, and it's available year round. I even preferred to their 16th anniversary barrel aged doulbe IPA (which was good, but a tad bit over hyped).

    I've also noticed over time that each batch seems to be a bit different...not worse or better...but different which adds an interesting mix to the complexity.

    Great beer! Glad you liked it too!

    Ilya

    ReplyDelete